How to Travel Safely with Your Pet
If you are transporting a pet to the veterinarian or bringing your critter on a road trip or to the dog park, you know that cars are not really designed for conveniently transporting them.
Also, if you are in an accident and your pet is injured, your auto policy will not cover their injuries, so it's important that you physically secure your pets before you drive. If your pet is not secured, it can suffer serious injuries or death if you suddenly stop or are in an accident.
Here are some tips for pet lovers who travel with their furry friends:
- Don't let your pet sit on your lap while you drive. It's distracting and unsafe in case you have to stop suddenly.
- Do not let your pet sit in a locked car when it's hot outside. Even warmer temperatures in the mid-80s can turn the inside of your vehicle into an oven.
- Bringing water for your pet. There are containers that are collapsible and spill-proof.
- Purchase mats and liners to protect carpets and make clean-up easier if they make a mess.
- Don't let your dog put its face out the window as you drive.
- If you are planning a long trip with your pet, take them on a series of short drives first.
- Consider transporting your pet in a well-ventilated crate or carrier. You can secure the crate so your pet is not thrown around if you stop suddenly or are in an accident.
- Use a safety harness. These have become popular in recent years.
- Stop every couple of hours to let your pet take a break and have some water if you are on a long trip.
- If you are traveling over state lines, bring along your pet's rabies vaccination record, as some states require this proof at certain interstate crossings. While this generally isn't a problem, it's always smart to be on the safe side.
Some carmakers, including Subaru and Volvo, cater to animal lovers with special equipment packages.
These save you the trouble of locating components separately, can be included in your financing, and are covered by the manufacturer warranty.
Thank you for visiting the Partners Insurance Agency blog. We hope you found our content helpful and informative.