Call Us CALL US TODAY | 352.332.0180
Auto Insurance PERSONAL AUTO
Homeowners Insurance HOME
Business Insurance BUSINESS
Toy Insurance TOYS
Contractors Insurance CONTRACTORS

Insuring Your Classic Car

Insuring classic and specialty cars can be confusing for the first-time buyer, because how you cover the car depends on how you're going to use it.

If you've never owned a classic before, you may not know the right questions to ask. But that's why we are here.

Ask yourself if you would need any of these seven situations to be available from the company you insure your classic with:

  • Being able to use your own mechanic for repairs
  • Being insured for what you feel the car's actually worth
  • Liability insurance when participating at club events
  • Coverage for damage incurred at car shows
  • Insurance coverage during restoration
  • Flexible premiums based on miles driven per year
  • Coverage for shipment to out-of-state or overseas events


If you answered yes to at least three of those situations, you may want to consider specialty insurance for your classic.


How it works

Fewer than half of the collector vehicles on the road today are insured by specialty programs. That can be a mistake, because most standard policies will not cover some of the risks that are unique to these vehicles.

Having said that, there could be qualifiers that need to be met for insurance through specialty programs, such as:

  • You must own and use a daily driver vehicle
  • The car may need to be a certain age, or older
  • You may need to be a certain age, or older
  • The car may only be driven 2,500 miles per year, or less
  • The car may only be driven for certain activities
  • The car may not be driven for commercial use


Terminology used with collector car insurers can be also be confusing, so don't assume anything.

Ask hypothetical questions in regards to how they would handle a specific claim, such as "what would happen in the event my car was a total loss?" Each company might answer that question differently.


Types of coverage

There are three types of automobile insurance coverage offered for the total loss of your vehicle:

Actual cash value - ACV coverage is what insures most everyday cars and pays out a depreciated "book" value in the event of a claim; the older a car is on an ACV policy, the less value it has.

Some insurance companies offer stated value policies for collectibles. These policies are better than ACV because they allow you to "state" a value for your vehicle that is greater than its depreciated "book" value.

Stated value - State value insurance can still depreciate vehicles because the policies generally require the insurance company only to pay up to the "stated" amount.

Agreed value - Agreed value insurance policies guarantee you will get all of your money back in the event of a total loss since you agree on the value when the policy is written.


Service and other considerations

There are varied levels of service, rates and types of coverage and claims handling with standard car insurers. The same is true with specialty car insurance companies. We can help you with researching all options so you can make a decision that is right for you.

Cost should be considered, but in our opinion, should not be the determining factor. When buying insurance, you are buying a service; look for quality customer service, excellent claims handling and a knowledgeable staff who know and understand collector vehicles. 

An insurance policy may only be as good as the staff that is processing your claims. Call us for details.

Thank you for visiting the Partners Insurance Agency blog. We hope you found our content helpful and informative.

Posted 12:00 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016

View Mobile Version
© Copyright. All rights reserved.
Powered by Insurance Website Builder